09/04/2014

Marie Curie poster design

From what I've read about Marie Curie, she was a very hard working person and she was very passionate about science. I want to portray this part of her which I've tried to get across in my thumbnails. I've also tried to incorporate some symbols associated with her - In some of the photographs Marie wore a necklace, so I decided to make the radioactive symbol as the pendant.

She also said that "I have no dress except the one I wear every day. If you are going to be kind enough to give me one, please let it be practical and dark so that I can put it on afterwards to go to the laboratory" which to me sounds like she was probably in her lab nearly most of the time and maybe even 'til the break of dawn. So I wanted to capture that bit of her by having my poster quite dark with the light focused on her - inquisitive, fascinated and concentrated - to show her willingness to do scientific work for the "beauty of science" til the early hours of morning, etc. - nothing could probably have stopped her from doing what she was so passionate about!
process gif:
I made the front glassware a little smaller to fit the whole picture frame, so I can later transfer and use in my postcards. Initially I was going to enlarge the two back to how they look in the sketch, but I kind of grew fond of them just the way they are because I liked that you can see the shadows created by the bottles - I think it adds to the lighting and depth.
I think my lighting could be improved for sure, but I am so proud of myself for trying! (this is my first ever piece where I've tried to achieve that dramatic sort of lighting). I also think that I need more practise drawing stronger/clearer facial expressions to get more of a narrative into my work.

I tried my poster out in black and white too, because all the photographs of Curie is in black and white - so the poster reflects the time period. I quite like it, but I think I will go with the one that other people/the audience prefer - which at the moment is the colour one.

No comments:

Post a Comment