14/11/2014

Contextual References

I really like the simplicity of this one, the use of bold, simple shapes and the harmonising colour palette that is used is very effective and quite eye catching and is appropriate for the book's target audience. The slow pace of the movement starting with the landscape which then focuses on the characters gives it a real sense of adventure and mystery. It doesn't go in too deep into the story and only shows a really brief glimpse of what the book is about, its tone, and what its like, which can make people want to pick up the book and read for themselves.

Shh! We have a plan: Trailer from chris haughton on Vimeo.

The lighting/glow and use of gradients in this animation I think works really well in creating a sombre, mysterious, and a kind of ethereal feel. Again, there is something about the slow/calm pace and the smoothness of movements - it makes it feel highly atmospheric and it keeps me wanting to watch the video. I think this is something I can look at when making my animation, as I think it will help create that spooky, mysterious atmosphere which I think will help to attract and keep the audiences attention.

Between Bears from Eran Hilleli on Vimeo.

The composition is very simple and straightforward in the video below which makes it so effective in the telling of the story. The light surrounding the images/characters against the dark background acts as a spotlight, which helps to draw the audiences attention more, helps you to focus your attention only to that particular thing and to control the eyes movement throughout the video. Again there is a sombre, dark atmosphere that you feel when watching this which I think is due to the colours and textural qualities of the images.

Stickboy // Animation Montage from Giant Ant on Vimeo.

Like the video above, I think the choice of colours and textural quality in the book trailer below is very well thought out to bring about the feeling and tone of the story. I really like the limited amount of movement within the set of images/scenes in this video - I think they've mostly moved the 'camera' around for the transition of scenes and added little bits of movement (like smoke and the scarf blowing in the wind) to those scenes, which to me looks like still images, but because the 'camera' is moving it looks like its also actively moving. This, I think works just as well - and maybe more time efficient?

SETA - Book Trailer from Enzo Lo Re on Vimeo.

I've put this one in because it is a very short and snappy book trailer, which is something that I intend to create for this brief. I really like that the animation is very simple - looks like they've mostly used the position key frames in After Effects - and that its only in black and white, and with the combination of music, it gives it a really creepy vibe. It sort of reminds me of Coraline a lot.

insideout book trailer 2 - "Planning" from HELLO, SAVANTS! on Vimeo.

Things I need to consider:
  • Pace 
  • Colour
  • Shape
  • Texture
  • Composition
  • Text
  • Digital?
  • Hand drawn?
  • or a mix of both (like the last video)?
  • Audio?

No comments:

Post a Comment