15/09/2015

Animex 2016 & The INDIs 2016

For the collaborative brief of Responsive in Level 5, I collaborated with an animation student because of my interest in working within the animation industry. In my Level 5 PPP presentation, I said that I would like to work on my portfolio in character design, environment, colour and lighting; what better way to develop my portfolio than collaborating with an animation student again!

The Animex Awards 2016 (International Festival of Animation & Computer Games) aims to celebrate and reward the talent and achievements of students worldwide. Up to 10 mins, all animation styles and techniques are eligible and content is entirely up to us however must fit into one of the awards categories*:
  • CGI Animation Award
  • Visual Effects Award 
  • 2D Animation Award 
  • Game Animation Award
  • Character Animation Award 
  • Stop-motion Animation Award
  • Experimental Animation Award
  • Best First Animation
*Animex may also consider your entry in more than one award category.

The judging panels from previous awards have included representatives some of the animation studios I look up to from LAIKA, Pixar, Disney, Aardman Animation, Sony Image Works and DreamWorks, to name a few, so this would be a great opportunity to showcase my work and reach out to them. I'm not sure how doable this one might be though because the deadline for submission is 19th October 2015 (that is so soon!). If for any reason I'm not able to do this brief, I think I would still go the the festival in February for the experience and networking purposes.


The INDIs (Independent Directions) 2016 (Leeds young film festival) - similar to Animex. They are looking for up to 10 mins of innovative, cinematic, clever or engaging storytelling. The submission deadline for this is not until 5th of February 2016, so we (if collaborating) will have a long time to work on something.


Both of these competition briefs require discussion and mutual agreement with partner first (if collaborating).

No comments:

Post a Comment